- Educate your staff and tenants;
- Refuse fires are NOT allowed;
- Dispose of hot ashes or coals in a safe place where there is no risk of starting a fire;
- When working with power tools, work in a cleared ventilated area (eg angle grinders, welders);
- When working in the veld with power tools (repairing or installing electrical fences, etc ensure the workmen have fire beaters at hand, and know how to beat down a fire)
- Ensure all electrical installations and appliances are correctly wired;
- Keep an large area around building clear of combustible material, ie. fire wood, garbage;
Think about the risk within your garden: substitute alien species with indigenous species (particularly succulents close to structures).
Ensure that the garden is easy to walk through in any direction, to facilitate emergency entry or exit.